Strattera-Is the Drug Responsible for Hearing Loss?
What does Strattera Treat?
Starttera is an oral medication that is used for the treatment of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). This drug helps relive the condition by affecting chemicals in the nerves and brain that are responsible for hyperactivity and impulse control. Besides, this medicine helps in the restoration of the balance in certain neurotransmitters (natural substances) in the brain. This drug assists a sufferer by increasing the ability to concentrate, stop fidgeting, pay attention and stay focused.
Hearing Loss as One of the Side Effects of Strattera
Hearing loss can affect people of all ages; it can be both temporary and permanent. Some of the reasons of hearing loss are ear infections, ageing, loud noises and the use of certain medications.
Strattera is as much known for its efficacious treatment ability as it is mentioned for one of its most serious side effect that is, hearing loss. Several men in their fifties suffering from high cholesterol who took Strattera with Crestor were found to be affected from hearing loss after 6 months to one year of the usage of this medication. If one goes by the reports on social media and FDA, 13 individuals have been shown to have hearing loss out of 14, 427 who have some other side effects while taking Strattera.
Other Side Effects of Strattera
Other side effects which call for an immediate medical intervention include trouble in sleeping, nausea, loss of appetite, fatigue, weight loss, vomiting, stomach upset, decrease in sexual ability/desire, menstrual cramps, missed/irregular periods, drowsiness, dry mouth, dizziness and constipation.
What A hearing Loss is like when caused by Strattera?
Hearing loss by medicines is seen mostly in adults who take a particular medication for a longer duration. Such type of hearing loss usually occurs when a person uses two or more medicines at the same time as it is in the case of Strattera. Drugs which cause hearing loss are called ototoxic medications. The reason behind this type of hearing loss is most of the times the damage of cochlea in the inner ear. Although permanent inner ear damage is possible in some cases, in several other cases, hearing returns to normal after an individual stops taking the medication.
Keep your ears open if you are taking more than one medication simultaneously and report to your doctor if you experience any new hearing problem after starting the drug. Some of the symptoms that must alert you to have a word with your doctor are mentioned below:
Depending on the exposure a person has to a particular ototoxin, symptoms of cochleotoxicity may vary. It may be mild tinnitus in some while total hearing loss in others. One may experience a fluctuating or constant tinnitus while going through such type of hearing loss which may me one-sided or two-sided.
Though hearing loss symptoms brought about an ototoxin usually go away overtime enabling a person to get back to normal life, rapid one-sided hearing loss manifests itself in the signs such as vomiting, vertigo, nystagmus (eye jerking) may force a person to stay in bed for days while there are hardly any symptoms in the case of one-sided hearing loss that is slow.
Vestibulotoxicity symptoms of two-sided loss are also characterized by a blurring and bouncing of vision (oscillopsia) a feeling of ear fullness, headache, imbalance to an extent that a person is unable to walk instead of vomiting, nystagmus and vertigo. sometimes symptoms may show in the form of a wide-based gait (where one walks with both legs wide apart), trouble in walking in the dark, lightheadedness, unsteadiness or the feeling of unsteadiness, significant tiredness and inability to bear head movement. Problems in walking with the eyes closed or in the dark or oscillopsia will not diminish overtime if it is a severe damage.
Some other hearing loss symptoms triggered by medicines and other factors my also include:
• Difficulty in hearing consonants
• Trouble in understanding words when a person is in crowd or where there is a lot of noise in the background
• Feeling the need to turn up the volume of radio or television
• Hearing muffled speeches and other sounds
• Avoiding social settings
• Withdrawing from conversations
• Asking people often to speak more clearly, slowly and loudly
Sudden Hearing Loss-What is it?
It is usually rapid hearing loss in one ear. Such type of sensorineural hearing loss (SSHL) which is also called sudden deafness develops either immediately or overtime. Treating it a medical emergency, this type of the condition of hearing loss must be reported to the doctor promptly. Out of every 5,000 people , 1 person experiences SSHL every year. This kind of deafness comes in to the notice when people wake up in the morning or try to use the affected ear for example, while using a phone. Some hear a loud pop before their hearing stops working. Signs indicating such an ear damage are dizziness, ringing in the ears (tinnitus) or both.
Causes of SSHL or Sudden Deafness
• Blood circulation problems
• Meniere’s disease or some other disorders of the inner era
• Infectious diseases
• Autoimmune diseasae like Cogan’s syndrome
• Trauma such as head injury
• Ototoxic drugs (these damage the sensory cells in the inner ear)
• neurologic disorders and diseases such as multiple sclerosis
• A tumor on the nerve that connects the ear to the brain
• Ototoxic drugs must be prescribed to pregnant women only after their thorough investigation.
• Patients who have a history of Meniere’s disease, dizziness, tinnitus or hearing loss must avoid taking ototoxic drugs.
• Before an individual is asked to follow a regimen including a potentially ototoxic medicine, his/her baseline hearing must be measured.
• The loud noises produced by music players, motorcycle and power tools such as drills and saws are likely to affect your hearing if your ears are exposed to them for along tine. Try and avoid such noises.
• Wearing earplugs or earmuffs is the best option if you know you are going to be at a place where you can be exposed to loud sounds for more than a few seconds.
• If you find noise coming out of something you can afford to do away with, remove i.
• While watching television or listening to radio, reduce the volume by fewer decibels. You’ll get used to it overtime. Remember if you lose hearing, it is likely never to come back again.
• Smoking has also been shown to increase the risk of the loss of hearing. Smoking with noise exposure and age may become a cause for hearing. Hence, if you smoke, quit is to preserve your hearing, if you don’t yourself, try your best to avoid secondhand smoke.
• Remove ear wax with care. Don’t use cotton swabs; these may further push wax deeper into the ear. Using a DYD irrigation kit is better which will help wash the wax out of your ear by softening it. get the help of a professional if the wax has compacted.
• Around 200 drugs have been gauged ototoxic that may damage your hearing. If you are prescribed any medication which you know is otitoxic, ensure that your hearing and balance must be monitored by your doctor before and during the treatment.
It’s Time to See Doctor
• If you have recently started taking any medication and find your hearing is getting affected.
• If you have a pin or fever.
• If you experience any associated symptoms such as vertigo or ringing in the ears.
• If the hearing loss experienced by you is sudden and prolonged, you need a fast evaluation and treatment If you have recent changes in the pressure like diving
• if you have fluid or blood coming from the ear
• If you have present or recent foreign body in the ear
Top Strattera and Hearing Loss Facts
• Strattera, an ADHD drug, contains an active ingredient by the name of atomoxetine hydrochloride.
• According to the latest reports, as many as 7,893 people who have suffered hearing loss due to Strattera were also patients of high blood pressure, high blood cholesterol, osteoporosis, rheumatoid arthritis and depression.
• The number of people having hearing loss as a side effect of Strattera is 1 each in the years 2004 and 2006, 3 in 2005 and 2007 while it was 5 in the year 2009.
• 14.29% people had hearing loss after using Strattera for around 1 month and 85.71% of people experienced era damage after 6-12 months of the usage of this medication. Those who used this drug 1-6 months, 1-2 years, 2-5 years, 5-10 years or more than that reported no hearing loss.
• 26.67% in the age group of 2-9 and 10-19 age group, 6.67% in age group of 20-29 and 40% in the age group of 50-59 experienced hearing loss.
• Co-existing conditions for the hearing loss include cardiac disorder, hypertension and Parkinson’s disease.
• The drugs used side by side were Parlodel, Stalevo 100, Tambocor, Aspirin, Plavix, Lipitor and Nexium.
• The hearing loss has been reported in males and in no females.
Q: If I want to start Strattera does it mean, I have to decrease the current medication I’m taking?
Answer: No it is not required. You can continue taking it/them. Strattera is , on the other hand, to be step increases in its dosage once you start taking it. The total initial dose of Strattera is 40mg per day. After three days of its administration, this dose can be increased up to 80mg preferably taken in the morning. You can also divide it in two equal doses first to be taken in the morning and the other one in the later afternoon or early evening. In those patients not having optimal response, this dosage can be further increased to 100mg. Although there is hardly any data to back the enhanced effectiveness if one uses the higher doses.
Q: Antidepressants take around three weeks at times .How long one is supposed to use Strattera to notice its effect?
Answer: You can notice sometimes some side effects within one week of its use. But to know if the medicine is really working, give it at least two to three weeks. You can ask your doctor about side effects.
Q: What if I happen to consume double dose of Strattera 40mg by mistake?
Answer: If you know you can forget, keep a journal. Or use a container and put those drugs in it you are supposed to take during the day so that you can check you have taken these or not. Though nothing may happen if you take double dose at a time but these drugs are better not to be messed up with. Call your doctor at once if you feel irritated, agitated and so on.
Q: What is the best time to administer Strattera to my 7 year old? She feels too tired after taking it.
Answer: Strattera can be well tolerated if taken late in the afternoon in case it is causing tiredness. Still it is better to once check with your doctor. May be your child needs an adjustment in the dosage.
Q: I am 25 years old male. There are two other drugs- synthroid and neurontin I’m currently taking with Strattera. I find my impulsivity going higher in the past some days. I want to know whether the combination of these drugs has anything to do with it.
Answer: No interactions between these three drugs have been found so far. But that doesn’t mean that they may never occur. Hence, have a word with your doctor if you have some bothersome symptoms.
Q: My 14-year-old daughter who till now has been taking adderall xr finding it difficult to sleep or eat is to start Strattera from the coming week. Her doctor has prescribed it 18mg for first 7 days, 25mg for two weeks after that and 40 mg thereafter for 1 week. I will greatly appreciate if anyone could tell me how to administer it to my daughter so that she can derive the maximum benefits from it?
Answer: It is best to go by your doctor’s advice. Medicines like Strattera are usually taken in the morning hours. Your daughter may take it in the late afternoon or at bedtime if she does not have any side effect since Strattera is not a stimulant. Some people feel jittery or are drowsy while some experience insomnia. You can try giving it in the morning and see if she adjusts. One thing to watch out for is the depression and suicidal tendencies. You must consult your doctor immediately noticing any such adverse effects.
• I was so wearied and harried one-and-a-half-year back when I was still to start Strattera. My mind remains all muddled and it was hard to stay focused. Currently with Strattera, I feel lot better. That somewhat violent streak in me has subsided to a great exrent. I feel now pretty much less anxious. The drug is giving me god effects. Dehydration is the most common problem that one faces while using Strattera. You can fix this problem by drinking plenty of fluids throughout the day.
• Since the day I have started taking Strattera, I have become more optimistic about everything in my life to come. Previously it was just fog. I was totally unable to concentrate. My productivity at work was getting greatly affected and my relationship with my family was apparently heading for a disaster. Though I knew for long that there is a drug named Strattera but I didn’t let my ‘improved version’ with the help of a medicine. But I was choking at the same time with the bad effects of ADD which were proving killing along with depression and anxiety and needed to be answered. And that’s when I decided to start on Strattera. Now I don’t panic at the slightest chance and stay cool if a trying situation arrives. I would term a marvelous discovery of modern medical science.
• I don’t even remember since when I have been suffering from depression. There have been so many medications that came and went after I was finally diagnosed with ADD by my family physician. It was adding to my already low state of mind that I was not able to treat this condition effectively. My whole life seems to be jeopardized until 1 month back. How effortless life seems now! A few days into Strattera, I couldn’t sleep and had headache. Even now I don’t get more than 6 hours sleep but those extraneous thoughts are gone completely. What else one can ask for!
Strattera is available online. Those people, who are skeptical about online shopping of drugs considering that they may end up buying fake products and risk their health, can log onto only those drug websites that are licensed where they can cheap medicines and get their home delivery also.